A selection from pop hits repertoire. Choreography and costumes are encouraged in Musical Theatre classes. No cabaret selections are permitted.
Traditional songs, Spirituals or Ballads where the original composer is unknown. Arrangements are permitted and may be sung in the original language or English translation.
Art songs may be sung in Italian, French, German, English or any of the other languages found in the classical song repertoire. Original languages are encouraged and preferred, particularly at the intermediate and senior levels, however, as previously stated, English translations may be performed.
Any aria from the operatic repertoire may be performed for this category. The aria must be sung in the original language and performance of any recitative passage preceding the aria is optional.
Any aria from the oratorio repertoire may be performed for this category. The aria must be sung in the original language and performance of any recitative passage preceding the aria is optional.
Sacred Solo / Oratorio
A solo section from a cantata or other similar work or composer of a sacred work.
Occasionally students will be working on more than one composition from the same category; the Additional
Repertoire category provides an opportunity for the competitor to enter a composition that duplicates one of the other categories. e.g. the competitor may enter two popular works; one in the popular category and the other popular selection in the Additional Repertoire class.
The Cultural Repertoire class is for pieces that are cultural in nature. i.e traditional Chinese, Indian, Greek and others. These selections should be sung in the original language. BCCM Festival may combine the Additional Repertoire class and the Cultural Repertoire class, depending upon enrollment.
Advanced Vocal Classes – Open
The advanced division is open to competitors who are 19 years and over. This section includes Art Songs, Leider Operatic Solo, Bach Sacred Solo, Oratorio Solo.
Competitors who enter the Open class may return to compete again even if they have won the class in the previous year. There is no restriction on the number of years that a competitor may enter the open class.
Traditional songs, Spirituals or Ballades where the original composer is unknown. Arrangements are permitted and may be sung in the original language or English translation.
Junior Vocal Classes
Entry Fee: $28 Time Limit: 5 minutes
|Musical Theatre- Comedy/Upbeat
VO-500A 10 years & under
VO-500B 12 years & under
VO-500C 14 years & under
|Musical Theatre – Ballad
VO-501A 10 years & under
VO-501B 12 years & under
VO-501C 14 years & under
VO-502A 10 years & under
VO-502B 12 years & under
VO-502C 14 years & under
VO-503A 10 years & under
VO-503B 12 years & under
VO-503C 14 years & under
VO-504A 10 years & under
VO-504B 12 years & under
VO-504C 14 years & under
|Folk Song / Spiritual
VO-505A 10 years & under
VO-505B 12 years & under
VO-505C 14 years & under
Intermediate Vocal Classes
Entry Fee: $30 Time Limit: 5 minutes
|Musical Theatre – Comedy
VO-500D 16 years & under
VO-500E 18 years & under
|Musical Theatre – Ballade
VO-501D 16 years & under
VO-501E 18 years & under
VO-502D 16 years & under
VO-502E 18 years & under
VO-503D 16 years & under
VO-503E 18 years & under
|Sacred Solo / Oratorio
VO-504D 16 years & under
VO-504E 18 years & under
VO-505D 16 years & under
VO-505E 18 years & under
Advanced Vocal Classes
Entry Fee: $32 Time Limit: 7 minutes
Two contrasting compositions of own choice. Limit: 10 mins.
VO-600 19 years & over
Own choice selection from any recognized composer of Lieder. To be sung in German.
VO-601 19 years & over
Own choice selection from any standard grand opera, sung in the original language.
Performance of any recitative passages preceding the aria is optional.
VO-602 19 years & over
|Bach Sacred Solo
Own choice from Cantatas, Passions, Oratorio or Mass.
VO-603 19 years & over
|Sacred Solo / Oratorio
Own choice from standard Oratorio repertoire other than J.S. Bach.
VO-604 19 years & over
Rules for Voice Candidates
- All selections must be memorized.
- The date for determining a competitor’s age for the festival is May 1st, 2017.
- The competitor must bring two original scores; one for the accompanist, and one for the adjudicator. Photocopies of copywritten music will not be accepted.
- Downloaded sheet music that is in the PUBLIC DOMAIN is acceptable provided it is presented in a three-ring binder or other similar form of binding and, the music must include printed or handwritten measure numbers.
- In the case of repertoire which is in a foreign language, original languages are encouraged and preferred, particularly at the intermediate and senior levels. However, English translations may be performed.
- The accompanying instrument to be used is piano, except for folk songs, where guitars or other ethnic instruments may also be used. In the folk song category, a cappella singing is also permitted.
- Competitors must provide their own accompanist, arrange rehearsal times, provide the accompanist with an original copy of their selection and are responsible for the payment to the accompanist.
- A single selection may only be entered in one category and the choice of selection must be guided by the descriptions of each category.
- Candidates must adhere to all general regulations and policies of BCCM Music